A FREE training opportunity for all designated Safe Haven drop-off locations, including:
- Police Departments
- Fire Departments
- Non-profit Community Health Centers
- Health Departments
The training can take place at your own facility at a time that is convenient for you and your staff.
What is the Safe Haven Law?
The New York State Safe Haven Law was designed to address the plight of parents who are not able to take care of their newborn babies, by providing a drop off point where they can anonymously give up custody of their infant up to 30 days old (provided there are no signs of intentional abuse). Does your staff know what to do should this happen at your facility?
Purpose of the training:
- This training is designed to increase staff skills and service capacity at hospitals, police departments, fire stations, health departments, and non-profit community health centers – all of which are designated Safe Haven drop-off locations under New York State Law.
- Have your questions answered regarding details of the law, as well as how to set up policy and procedures to rely upon in the event a mother arrives requesting to give up custody of her infant under the Safe Haven Law.
The training includes:
- A PowerPoint presentation (roughly 30-45 minutes depending on the number of questions)
- A Safe Haven Law manual for your facility
- Hand-outs to keep as quick reference guides as to the exact steps to follow should someone wish to relinquish a baby at your facility under the Safe Haven Law
- Signs / stickers to indicate to the public that your facility is a Safe Haven drop-off location
For more information or to schedule a training, call Mohawk Valley Perinatal Network at 315-732-4657.